Application Process for Public School Jobs
Below are details on documents you should be working on preparing now for Public School Jobs starting next Feb and March 2013. Assuming your interviews go well and you pass, you’ll be expected to provide some or all of the documents listed below. Depending on whether you’ve applied for EPIK (English Program In Korea), Seoul EPIK or GEPIK (for Gyeonngido Provincial cities only).
Remember these jobs are on a first-come, first served basis so if you think you won’t have all of your documents ready soon, don’t worry, just do your best as many people will face delays due to changes in immigration laws. Regarding your Criminal background check, try to get it sorted out as fast as possible.
For North Americans specifically, as we’ve stated before, you’ll need NATIONAL CBCs, statewide CBCs are no longer valid. Whatever country you’re from, as long as your CBC is national, you’ll be okay.
Second round Documents for EPIK
NATIONAL EPIK has a strict documents policy even if you pass the interview, if you can not submit your second round document in time as they request you can not get the position. If there is any mistake or any missing documents your application will be turned down. As there have been changes to immigration laws, they may be a bit more lenient this year. Either way, make it your priority to get your paperwork together.
If successful at your interview, you will be mailing the following documents to a specified address at a later date. We highly recommend getting everything organized as soon as you can.
The original EPIK application form with 3 signatures. See below for specific details on this (1-3)
Please note SEOUL applicants must also provide the documents marked in red (see below) in addition to other relevant documents listed below.
1. Signed application form with passport photo attached (hard copy of application form with your signatures in the relevant spaces provided)
2. Self medical assessment (which is included in your application form). Please make sure your original signature is there. If you don’t sign it, your application becomes invalid.
3. Personal Essay (included in application form)
3a Seoul Attachment Form/ Busan Attachment form
3b Lesson Plan (included in both of the above attachment forms)
3c SMOE Addendum
4. Photocopy of passport (only photocopy the information page with photo on it)
5. Original Criminal Record Check with APOSTILLE STAMP. It must be a NATIONAL one, statewide Criminal background checks are no longer be accepted. Remember, if you are Canadian you must get verification from Korean consulate instead of the Apostille stamp
6. Notarized copy of Bachelor’s degree with APOSTILLE STAMP
7. Two sealed official transcripts of Bachelor’s degree
8. The two recommendation letters from professional/ academic sources (hard copy; must be original) PLEASE FOLLOW REF LETTER GUIDELINES CLOSELY!
9. Copy of TEFL/TESL/TESOL or CELTA certification (or Proof of Enrollment / Sworn Declaration if you are currently still completing the course)
10. Copy of Master’s degree (if you hold one)
11. One sealed official transcript of Master’s degree (if you hold one)
12. Proof of full-time teaching experience from institution with exact dates (hard copy; must be original. It’s important you understand that if you do not submit your original work employment proof, your teaching experience won’t be recognized for salary purposes
13. Copy of Teaching License Certificate (if you hold one)
14. Korean Criminal Background Check: This is for teachers living and working in korea on the date they mail their documents. Its very easy to obtain. Just bring your ARC (Alien registation card) with you to your local police station here in korea and ask them for a Criminal background check. It should only take about 20 minutes and its FREE. This obviously does NOT replace your home country CBC, you must provide both. If you’re applying from outside of korea, you don’t need the Korean CBC.
* All original documents must be submitted along with 1 extra copy (except the University Transcripts) and assembled in two separate groups in the order specified above (One set of original documents and one set of copies for your second round process).
** All documents once submitted to EPIK will not be returned in any case to applicants
*** Original Criminal record check without Apostille is not valid